Playing Catch-up

By Wednesday of this past week, both of the big kids were back in school.  I had great aspirations for Wednesday and Thursday.  I still have Christmas decorations out.  I have brand new photo equipment begging to be used.  I have piles of folded laundry that no one else knows how to sort and put away.  But instead I spent most of the day Wednesday and Thursday(and so far most of today) in the bed.  I’m finally feeling better(thank goodness!), but on early Thursday morning I thought I was going to die.  Seriously.  I couldn’t breathe because my tonsils were so huge.

See…a few years ago I saw an ENT about my tonsils.  I get some kind of throat pain(be it strep or just an achey throat) about once every month or two.  That’s ridiculous!  So I saw this doctor and he was all, “Those really need to come out.  Now.”  And so I scheduled the surgery for a few weeks later.  The day before I went to go do pre-op blood work, I found out that I was pregnant(the one that later ended in miscarriage), so the surgery was cancelled.   After the miscarriage, the timing just wasn’t right for rescheduling  surgery.  With Marshall’s crazy residency work schedule, I had to figure out how to make sure I had someone who could take care of me and both kids for at least a week.  So…I put if off again.

Early Thursday morning, when I thought I was dying, I had a come to Jesus talk with myself.  It’s time to suck it up and get it done.  So I got Marshall to email one of our friends from med school who is now an ENT, and I have a consultation appointment with her on January 15th.  Hopefully we’ll be able to get the surgery scheduled shortly thereafter.

There are two reasons I’m scared to death of this surgery:

1) they say that this is one of the most painful post-ops ever, and
2) what if something happens and messes with my singing voice.  I would be devastated.

But I have hope on both fronts:

1)after Marshall talked to another ENT, he told me that women recuperate faster and fair better than men, and that I’d probably be fine after 3 day if I would force myself to practice swallowing despite the pain, and
2) Melanie(my ENT friend) said that the way they do surgery now(versus when I was planning on doing it back in 2007) is much safer for singers because it doesn’t even mess with the muscles you use for singing.  Also, I checked with Dr. Google, and this problem I have with my voice just stopping on me mid-note should be resolved once I don’t have those pesky tonsils in the way.
3) Also…bonus points for this solving the problem I have with tonsilliths.  If you don’t know what these are, don’t go check it out unless you’re prepared to be grossed out.

So…in a few weeks, I’ll be braving the knife(or the coblator, actually).   Even after all the good I’ve heard, I’m still scared.  And I want to do it, but I don’t want to do it.  Y’all have to make sure I don’t wuss out!  Promise???

(If you want to see a coblation tonsillectomy, click here to watch the youtube video. It’s a surgery, but it’s blood-less.  Ignore the overly dramatic music, please.)

6 Responses to Playing Catch-up
  1. Mama
    January 8, 2010 | 7:15 pm

    You will do fine. Remember you come from tough stock! I really think you will feel SO much better after you heal , you will wonder why you waited so long. However, I am glad you waited until this new procedure was available. I love you and pray for you always!

  2. designHer Momma
    January 8, 2010 | 8:05 pm

    girl, you are brave – but I have no doubt that it will all go great.

  3. Amydeanne
    January 9, 2010 | 11:14 am

    Bridget! It sounds like you’ve had a crazy time! I’m so sorry for your lost. I’ve had 3 miscarriages myself.

    Hugs and prayers!

  4. yogurtry
    January 9, 2010 | 11:45 am

    Do talk to the doctor who will over see your post-op pain meds. Explain your fears. Our understanding of pain and the management of pain has improved, for example, medicating to stay ahead of the pain, but the protocol varies from hospital to hospital. Seeking reassurance to reduce your fears might be a helpful step.

  5. jeffra
    January 11, 2010 | 12:13 pm

    My friend just had this surgery a month ago…she did famously! It was a 2 week recovery, in the sense that she couldn’t lift or bend over or do anything that would put blood pressure in the site area, but she was pretty much up and around after a couple of days. She mostly stayed drugged up and slept the first few days. The hardest part was not eating, mostly drinking and eating puree foods. She lost some weight and is VERY happy with the results. It wasn’t nearly what all the horror stories suggested. She said the scabs fell off around 12 days. Better you do it now than when you are older, you will heal faster! Thinking of you!