My friend Emily (aka DesignHER Momma) posted something on her blog that really intrigued me with a video about motherhood. It’s not your typical “what to expect once the baby’s here” kind of thing. They went and asked moms what they would tell themselves if they could go back before their first baby was born.
Here are the answers from a few moms:
And so I’m going back and having a little chat with that young, tired and lonely mama
and telling her a few things that I’ve learned along the way.
- Get dressed every day(or at least every other day). You will feel better. I promise.
- When you need a break, take it.
Even if that means putting the baby in a safe place and walking outside for a few minutes.
- When you need it, ask for help. There is always someone who can help you.
- It may take a while for you to fall in love with your child…but it will happen.
- It’s perfectly normal to feel like this.
- It’s ok to use anti-depressants if you need them.
- If you don’t remember every milestone, that’s ok.
But take time to close your eyes and memorize the sounds, the smells.
You’ll forget that faster than you think you will.
- Write, take pictures, journal, do whatever it takes to keep the memories…
but don’t get so wrapped up in writing and picture-taking and journaling that you miss the moment.
I’m still working on some of those. Aren’t you?
What would you have told yourself?
What would you tell new moms?
I would like to note that this video was made by Nummies, a company that makes nursing bras.
I was not, however, contacted by Nummies. I just really liked the video and wanted to share it.